A standard data preparation process should be used before moving data to any official reporting source – whether it is a data warehouse, a geodatabase, or a file uploaded to an open data portal.
A data preparation process might use the following checklist:
- Is the data derived from a designated authoritative source system?
- Have data quality checks been applied?
- Has metadata for the data set been prepared, including explanation of the data source, date of last update?
- Is an individual or business unit identified for data users to contact for further information?
- Is an individual or business unit identified for reporting database or system managers to contact regarding any issues that arise?
- Has metadata for the data elements included been prepared (data dictionary)?
- Has the metadata been reviewed for completeness and quality?
- Has a data owner or steward signed off on the data publication?