Data Items to Standardize for TAM
Consider establishing standard definitions, code lists, and formats for the following items.
Location of assets, projects, and maintenance activities.
- Spatial (X,Y)
- Linear reference
- District/region, city/county
- A shared, unique identifier for an asset
- A shared, unique identifier for a project, ideally maintained from “cradle to grave”
- Based on an adopted agency naming convention
Asset work type.
- A common set of categories for describing types of maintenance, repair, rehabilitation or replacement work performed.
- Ideally these are hierarchical, enabling roll-ups from detailed work types to shared work categories that can be used for reporting across asset types.
Asset Inventory units of measure.
- Common inventory units include linear feet, square feet, ‘each’ and miles.
Asset Work units of measure.
- These may be similar to inventory units but include things like tons of asphalt patching.
Resource types and unit costs.
- To identify which assets were included within a project
Maintenance Activity-Asset Linkage.
- To identify assets (and quantities) were included within a maintenance activity
- In progress
- Open to traffic
Timeframe for work completion.
- Multiple levels of granularity as needed for planning and reporting
- Standard methods of accounting for inflation
- Inclusion of ancillary costs such as construction engineering or traffic control
- Ability to compare estimates across systems
File naming conventions.
- For linking standard documents to asset information
- Design data
- Multimedia data